Wednesday 8 September 2010

Just Desserts!

An afternoon away from work and spent sitting in front of my laptop trying to remember details of my Just Desserts business from over 4 years ago to include in the Just Desserts section of my book! A little bit of the first draft follows:-

In July 2004 after making delicious desserts for dinner parties, families and friends I thought it would be a good idea to sell my desserts to others who might be having a dinner party or gathering. After plenty of research, a course in food hygiene and lots of preparation I was ready to start my own business from home and called it Just Desserts.

I started by inviting all my girls, neighbours and their friends to my house for an introduction to Just Desserts and a tasting evening. My kitchen was quite bijou then so I set up at least 20 desserts on two dining tables in my lounge. It looked fabulous and I felt very proud if a little nervous as everyone began to arrive. How had I managed to pull it all together?

There were at least thirty ladies salivating around the table when I started by giving a very short speech and then proceeded to describe my way through all the desserts, dishing out tasters as I went. The fantastic feedback was more than I could have imagined and hoped for and by the end of the evening I had the first orders confirmed in my diary. Everyone left feeling replete and most took doggy bags home for husbands and partners to sample too.

The business started and continued to do well, with Christmas being a particularly busy time, one Christmas Eve I had to complete and deliver over 20 desserts! It was then that I felt my children were missing out as I had less time to spend with them, weekends being when most of my baking would need to be done. So after over two years and pleasingly in profit I decided to close Just Desserts and to revert to baking just for family and friends.


So there we have it, it still needs work but I'll slowly getting there. I wanted to include a photo of all the desserts for you to see but Ian is away and I have no idea how to retrieve it from an older storage file! Another time!





No comments:

Post a Comment